Monday, January 24, 2011

Adaptive Snow Skiing

Hello Everyone,

On January 18th, 2011 three members of the Northwest Indiana Spinal Cord Injury Group participated in the Adaptive Ski and Ride Program at Wilmot Mountain. The pictures can be found here.

Anyone interested in participating in future skiing outings please read the email below and contact Diana Helt (dhelt@ric.org) and Angela Allen (angela@adaptiveadventures.org ). Let me know if you get scheduled, because the NWI SCI Group would like to pay for your lift ticket to help facilitate your adaptive skiing experience.



My Skiing Experience...

I had never been skiing before this trip, and I was definitely nervous going into it. The organizers and the volunteers really instill confidence though and make you feel as comfortable as possible. We started out getting basic instruction on the equipment and getting fitted into our skis in the warmth of the lodge. Once secure, we headed just outside the door to get back into the skis on the snow. That's where you get more instruction on turning, stopping, and getting on the lift. Turning the mono-ski was surprisingly easy. After getting acquainted with the skis, Joel said our group looked balanced, stable, comfortable, and confident... and if we felt that way we should start skiing. We skipped the "bunny hill" and went straight to the ski lift to hit the slopes. They stop the lift to help you get on the lift chair with your instructor/volunteer and may or may not stop at the top to let you off. You are on the seat, in your ski, and clipped to the lift the whole way up. Once you're on top, it's time to go down the hill. It was an amazing experience! I couldn't even tell that my instructor was right behind me holding on to the straps the whole way down the first couple of times.We probably got to take 4 or 5 runs before it was time to go. I have to say that it was one of the more exciting, exhilarating, and awesomely terrifying experiences I've had in a long time. I will go again!

If anyone else cares to write about their skiing or any other experience I would love to post it on this blogsite.

Joe White

1 comment:

Shanae Buckner said...

When I was 15, I was taught to ski together with my older brother. I always fell on my face. They'd laugh at me, but after two hours of practice, I could glide graciously. They said I was a natural, and so I am until now!